Well, my week of respite is finally up. I didn’t think I’d need so long to get settled in but having a week’s reprieve between moving day and day 1 has been blissful. I’ve slept a great deal of it. I’m a little concerned how the cat will handle being on her own for more than a couple hours tomorrow. We still haven’t fully established all of her rules yet.
Here’s Where We’re At:
- Unpacking is at about 80%. Mostly ironing and setting up the new desktop computer I bought and trying to figure out if I can get the keyboard shelf reinstalled. Three boxes that are full of “stuff” still to go.
- I’ve already lost a knitting needle. I thought for about a half hour that I’d lost a pearl earring. Size 2 DPNs are much more easily replaced. Earring has been located but the needle remains MIA.
- Mail has started to arrive and I met the other neighbors on this floor when they knocked to drop off a box for me! So far so good there, I didn’t really want to have to get a p.o. box. Might order something non-emergent from Amazon to continue this test theory.
- The first Netflix has begun arriving. I have over 400 things in my queue.
- I can’t get my license or plates updated just yet because you need two forms of proof of residency. My lease isn’t enough. I am rather peeved by this because it reduces me to having to put guest passes in my car every day until after Christmas, which is when I next expect to have a full morning to sit at the DMV with all of my paperwork.
- This means that I can’t get my library card renewed unless I can locate a librarian who knows me. Considering dropping in on Stevi and begging. (I’d bring my lease…)
- I’ve run out of butter. This may not seem monumental to some. AudioGirl recognized it for the potential apocolypse sign it might be. The past couple of years excepted I tend to bake quite a lot. And baking at Chez Hedgehog usually requires butter. I’m not Paula Dean but a pound in the fridge and a pound in the freezer is pretty standard. Only…I’ve made four batches of cookies since moving and I only moved one pound. So when I went to make pancakes tonight (dinner and breakfast tomorrow! thinking ahead), there was not butter. Fear not, I had lots of really good Wisconsin dark maple syrup.
- The Opera Singer and I are meeting in a bit to go see Tangled. I’m ridiculously excited at the prospect of spontaneous plans, as this hatched a couple hours ago. I’m taking her some books that have been waiting for me to ship them to her. Hand delivery is so much easier.
I was flailing online a bit about how I had very little closet space here and the Cartoonist reminded me that I used to live in NY apartments, which also don’t have closet space. Oh…that’s right I did. First with the girls, then the rookie cop, and then the airline steward. J and I had a better kitchen (of course, he’s since married the Blonde and they now have a basement for storage); C and I had no kitchen cabinetry to speak of; and really–you put five girls in one house and tell me how much storage space there is? Of course, we had a basement there too.
But it was a pleasant reminder that yes, I have done this before and I can do it again. I’ll get the 3M command strips that worked so well on my mirror in La Crosse and get pictures hung and that mirror back up and somewhere to put the coats when I walk in. Possibly also my bathrobe out of the closet. I’ll take a box to Goodwill or put stuff on Freecycle or Craigslist. I will somehow convince the Brunette and Sibling-the-Elder to play What Not to Wear with me. I’ll buy a shelving/storage unit for the bathroom and one more set of shelves or something for the living room that I can put my tools and things on. I’ll buy one more bookcase because I really and truly need it. I’ll start reading those National Geographics I meant to not have to move.
I just have to figure out where all of the small appliances and tools are going. That seems to be what’s eating most of the room.